About Me

My photo
Adalbert is a forum for me, to post ephemera, photography, poetry, occasional travel notes, and various spontaneous motions. Cover photo: Parsonage where my great-grandfather spent his early years. Taken near Liegnitz, Silesia, ca. 1870.

Followers

Friday, September 21, 2012

FOOD will win the war don't waste it

 
Postcard sent in 1918 depicting the then-recently built Multnomah County Courthouse in Portland, Oregon -- still very much an active hall of jurisprudence.  The area surrounding the courthouse's footprint seems almost rural in this World War I era scene; its surroundings in this current century are definitively urban.   Much attention was paid to the last few remaining World War I veterans who died within recent years.  By now there are few people who would have any memories related to the World War I period at all -- anyone recalling this time even from early childhood would, at the youngest, be approaching the century mark in age.  That's how this planet rolls.

The message was apparently written by a college student who signed it "C.H."

No comments:

Post a Comment