About Me

My photo
Adalbert is a forum for me, to post ephemera, photography, poetry, occasional travel notes, and various spontaneous motions. Cover photo: Parsonage where my great-grandfather spent his early years. Taken near Liegnitz, Silesia, ca. 1870. The "xothique" portion of the web address is a nod to Clark Ashton Smith's fictional continent of Zothique.

Sunday, December 22, 2013

A couple more shots from Père Lachaise

 

 


Headstone of the Iranian author Sadegh Hedayat in Père Lachaise, and a view of the dense necropolis. Hedayat's novel The Blind Owl, with its mystical refrains and echoes of Poe, and some of his short stories affected me greatly when I read them years back.  After I took the photo, an Iranian fan of the writer appeared, also taking a picture.  I spoke with the man briefly.  He said, "There he is... He died much too soon."

2 comments:

  1. I think a visit to Pere Lachaise must be a very moving and humbling experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure is Lisa. I stumbled across the above marker by chance as I was searching for Proust's grave.

    ReplyDelete