About Me

My photo
Adalbert is a forum for me, to post ephemera, photography, poetry, occasional travel notes, and various spontaneous motions. Cover photo: Parsonage where my great-grandfather spent his early years. Taken near Liegnitz, Silesia, ca. 1870. The "xothique" portion of the web address is a nod to Clark Ashton Smith's fictional continent of Zothique.

Thursday, April 18, 2013

Arch Rock, Mackinac Island, Mich.

 
 
 
 
 
 
Postcard of Arch Rock on Mackinac Island, Michigan :  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arch_Rock_(Mackinac_Island) sent to Exel LeDuc 106 years ago in Prescott, Oregon http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prescott,_Oregon (see post of 3 January 2013 for another card sent to her).
 
Text:
 
Dear friend I just got (back) from St - Paul the 3rd and got your kind letter and cards.  I am back working out of the (?).  I miss you very much come back soon
 
I think you are a lonesome girl
yours very truly
 
J. (?) 

3 comments:

  1. Intriguing, through to marring George Vogel.
    Makes you wonder how it all worked out. Ray

    ReplyDelete
  2. Poor lonesome girl. Now I feel pity for somebody who has probably already been dead for ages.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exel is one of the few people (of those who are named, anyway) I have been able to find information on in these photographs and postcards. Her unusual name helps. Fragments and mysteries.

    ReplyDelete