About Me

My photo
Adalbert is a forum for me, to post ephemera, photography, poetry, occasional travel notes, and various spontaneous motions. Cover photo: Parsonage where my great-grandfather spent his early years. Taken near Liegnitz, Silesia, ca. 1870. The "xothique" portion of the web address is a nod to Clark Ashton Smith's fictional continent of Zothique.

Monday, July 28, 2014

When You are Away from Athens do You Have Another Girl

A century since the start of World War I




Written and mailed on July 30, 1914, two days shy of 100 years ago, and two days after the assassination of Archduke Franz Ferdinand triggered World War I:  July 28, 1914.


2 comments:

  1. The last two pre-war days, it must have been a strange time (although people in Athens probably weren't bothered much until 1917). Interesting Smithsonian article!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, weird thing is that it was just by chance that I selected that card for posting on the centennial of the beginning of World War I. I previously had only glanced over the card. When I posted it, I happened to notice the postmark indicated a date two days after the war started. Indeed, the USA was reluctant to enter the conflict in Europe. The Archduke's "death car" license plate matter in the Smithsonian article is sure spooky.

    ReplyDelete