About Me

My photo
Adalbert is a forum for me, to post ephemera, photography, poetry, occasional travel notes, and various spontaneous motions. Cover photo: Parsonage where my great-grandfather spent his early years. Taken near Liegnitz, Silesia, ca. 1870. The "xothique" portion of the web address is a nod to Clark Ashton Smith's fictional continent of Zothique.

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Rainbow Falls, Hawaii

 
 

 
 
 
Card sent in the 1940s, with some Hawaiian words included in the text on the back.
 
 

2 comments:

  1. Interesting Hawaiian tale. I think it's a pity Hawai, an independent kingdom, was crushed by American imperialism, but maybe I am wrong (I've never been there so I can't really judge what the Hawaiian people think of it). Probably Cuba would have been better off now if it had become an US state at the start of the 20th century...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rob, I've never been to Hawaii either, the US is a big place! Still a lot of places I need to go domestically and internationally. My understanding is that there are Hawaiian independence and autonomy movements, by the native Hawaiians. Yeah, the incorporation of the islands by the USA was sketchy, as many land grabs back then were. We're certainly about the last holdout on the Cuban embargo, doubt it will change for a while.

    ReplyDelete