About Me

My photo
Adalbert is a forum for me, to post ephemera, photography, poetry, occasional travel notes, and various spontaneous motions. Cover photo: Parsonage where my great-grandfather spent his early years. Taken near Liegnitz, Silesia, ca. 1870. The "xothique" portion of the web address is a nod to Clark Ashton Smith's fictional continent of Zothique.

Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Stamps of Bartók, Beethoven, Dickens, Jeffers, Mongolia






A stamp from Mongolia, a Hungarian stamp for the Beethoven birth bicentennial, another for a piece by Bartók, a stamp from Dubai marking the centenary of Dickens' death (because nothing says "Dickens" like a desert kingdom), and a U.S. stamp in honor of Robinson Jeffers.

3 comments:

  1. At least the Dubai Dickens stamp chose a Dickensian scene for the illustration. I don't think GB stamps have famous people from other countries on stamps (but I could be wrong).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're right about UK stamps, Lisa B. I did a Google image search and couldn't find one that portrayed anyone but people from these islands and have no memory of one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have a John Lennon stamp somewhere (have misplaced it) from one of the Caribbean islands, I believe.

    ReplyDelete