About Me

My photo
Adalbert is a forum for me, to post ephemera, photography, poetry, occasional travel notes, and various spontaneous motions. Cover photo: Parsonage where my great-grandfather spent his early years. Taken near Liegnitz, Silesia, ca. 1870. The "xothique" portion of the web address is a nod to Clark Ashton Smith's fictional continent of Zothique.

Friday, September 14, 2018

Amsterdam Maritime Museum

TToured the Amsterdam Maritime Museum today; a museum  I'd missed on previous visits. An engaging, lively collection, including an evocative array of navigation instruments, and an assortment of Dutch maritime paintings, with a mystic moonlight boat scene (& a sailing ship docked outside).

5 comments:

  1. As an ex seaman I would like to see the museum. Was it possible to look round the ship?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You'd enjoy the museum,Ray. I looked around the ship's hold a bit,tight quarters for certain. You have to pay extra to tour the upper portions of the ship.

      Delete
    2. I'm also getting notified of comments again,fortunately.

      Delete
  2. My favorite Amsterdam museum is The Hermitage, although I haven't seen the present exhibition yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it happened, I visited The Amsterdam Hermitage museum for the first time, the day after I went to the Maritime Museum. I really like The Hermitage as well; there was a show based on ideas of classical beauty. The Golden Age Dutch painting, and related material was top notch; and the Outsider section was gripping. I went to the Allard Pierson Museum on this visit, as well.

      Delete